Floating Contact Form Portlet
Agrégateur de contenus
Back What is the situation of the seafreight market in May 2022?
In order to help you to understand the numerous disruptions that are impacting the world shipping market, we offer you a summary of the current situation to give you the key points to remember on the main import/export routes that concern you.
For more information on a specific trade, our experts are available here to answer you.
Import from Asia to France
- Capacity: Strong reduction in capacity supply in May and June, in the order of 10 to 50% depending on the week.
- Rate: Spot rates continue to decline slightly but are expected to rise again starting in mid-June.
- Global situation: Inflation, shortage of raw material, over-stocking in Europe but especially the prolonged confinement in SHANGHAI are generating a drop in demand.
In order to avoid an erosion of spot rates, shipping lines are drastically readjusting their capacity supply. Congestion in Europe and in Asian ports remains a real challenge for carriers.
With the gradual and almost imminent lifting of restrictions in SHANGHAI, companies are very optimistic: an influx of volume is expected in the coming weeks but will be confronted with "a new" challenge: the shortage of equipment. Rates are expected to rise again in mid-June.
Export from France to Asia
- Capacity: Decrease in capacity over the month of June 2022 (average of 25%) due to multiple blank sailings. Some equipment problems in ports and inland depots on some shipping lines. Also heavy port congestion at some terminals.
- Rate: In the North, rates are falling slightly, while in the South, rates are stagnating.
- Global situation: The reliability of the services is always at its lowest.
Export from France to North America
- Capacity: 3 new services are deployed on the East Coast of the United States and Canada. They allow a slight flexibility in a context of port congestion on both sides of the Atlantic. Call cancellations and blank sailings are still frequent.
- Rate: They will remain high in June. Announcements of rate increases may be forthcoming.
- Global Situation: Equipment availability is low and the situation is likely to worsen in the coming weeks.
The threat of a strike in the California ports is still on the table.
Export France – Moyen Orient & Inde
- Capacity: Decrease in capacity for the month of June 2022 due to multiple blank sailings. Some equipment problems in ports and inland depots on some shipping lines. Also heavy port congestion at some terminals.
- Rate: Rate increase due to bunker.
- Global situation: Change of services of some shipping companies.
For more information, contact one of our experts now!